And, there was much rejoicing throughout the land as I finally completed the stumpwork embroidery flower project.
I was determined to complete it Sunday afternoon. First I had to finish embroidering the background bits. Now, I wasn’t really using the best fabric for this project. I should have stitched the embroidery on fabric with a higher thread count. Instead, I used an evenweave more appropriate for cross-stitch. As a result, there are unavoidable gaps in the stitches because I could not achieve the level of detail I might have preferred if I was stitching on proper embroidery fabric.
I had worked on it a bit on Saturday, so this was my starting point on Sunday:
I still managed to work some competent fly stitches and stem stitches despite the limitations of the fabric. The background has a lot of detail packed into a little space.
I finished stitching the background and added three red beads for berries:
So far, so good. The large leaves turned out a little rough because of the lack of detail and the gaps between the stitches, but I was in “good enough” mode by then.
Cutting the flower petals out of the muslin was not as tricky as I expected. But, applying the detached petals to the background and securing them in place was more frustrating than I expected. It was difficult to get the petals to lay flush against the fabric and pull the wire ends through and secure the ends on the back side so that the petals weren’t floating above the fabric.
But, I did it!
It turned out rather nicely, if I do say so myself. Even my husband was impressed.
Hoorah. I’m glad it is done, and I am glad I challenged myself to learn a little stumpwork, even if I’m not in a hurry to do it again. :)