Here is an update on my cross-stitch projects, including the grand finale of the DMC Memory Thread heart project and the latest progress on the Prairie Schooler “Vintage Eggs” cross-stitch patterns.
This past Saturday I had some time to dust off the sewing machine and finish my memory thread heart project. I finished stitching it a couple weeks ago, but I wanted to turn it into a small pillow.
I will admit that while I have a good sized needlework fabric stash, I have almost no sewing fabric stash. This is a problem when I want to sew a finish. I posted about my dilemma on Instagram, and a very kind person, Gwen from Florida, actually sent me an amazing package in the mail, including the perfect fabric for this project.
So, I finally had some time this past weekend to figure out how I was going to pull this off. I trimmed the stitched piece, cut the fabric, and sewed the stitched piece and the front-side fabric together. Then I added the rick rack trim, and I cheated a little bit because I did not sew the trim to the fabric. Instead, I used a bit of hem tape (like this stuff) and ironed the rick rack to the fabric. Then I sewed the front side to the backside fabric, turned it right-side out, stuffed it with polyfil and hand-sewed the gap closed. And, here is the result:
I am not much of a sewist. I have huge admiration and respect for quilters because that is just not a skill I possess. But, overall I am very happy with how the pillow turned out!
I also picked up my Prairie Schooler “Vintage Eggs” project again. I am still working on the sheep, but now the sheep are done and I just need to stitch a few extra details. So, this one should be done soon:
That’s it for this week. I hope to have the sheep done for next week and to have a start on the last “Vintage Egg” I have left to stitch in the series.