Friday Finds is my weekly round-up of needlework, art, and book news from around the web.
We are wrapping up Welcome Days at my school this week as we welcome the class of 2021 to campus, plus all of our returning students. I’m also teaching my first class this semester! I met with my class yesterday, and they are pretty awesome. I’m looking forward to spending the next 14 weeks with them in Introduction to the College Experience.
But, enough about me. Here are this week’s links:
- The New Yorker talks to Michele Carragher, the principal embroiderer for the Games of Thrones tv series, about her work on the beautiful costumes in the show.
- The Jealous Curator featured the embroidered “thread paintings” of artist Heidi Leitzke.
- Dani Ives creates intricate, detailed animal portraits using needlefelting techniques.
- Neat illustration: “Artistic Maps of Pakistan and India Show Embroidery Techniques of Each Region“
- Lit Hub shares a novel and non-fiction book for every state in the U.S.
Video of the Week
“One More Pull” by Bounding Main. This a cappella group specializes in traditional sea shanties and other folk tunes. They play on the Renaissance faire circuit. I’ve been lucky to see them live, and their harmonies are pretty great.